Year 5 English Home Learning
Here is some information about who Neil Armstrong was. Click on the link below. There is a quiz at the end, too.
Here is a clip about Armstrong’s moon landing.
Can you create a comic strip about Neil Armstrong’s moon landing?
How do you think landing on the moon felt for Neil? Why was this a big achievement? Can you pretend that you are Neil Armstrong, you’ve just returned home and you’re writing a diary entry about your experience?
- Start with ‘Dear Diary’.
- Describe what happened (being the first man to land on the moon) and what the place was like (moon).
- Write in the past tense. Try using some contracted forms from your grammar lesson this week.
- Write in first person – use pronouns like I, my and me to show that the events happened to you.
- Talk about how you were feeling or what you were thinking when this happened.
- Remember to end with ‘From Neil Armstrong‘
Click here to read another child’s amazing example of a diary entry:
Click below for a reading activity about space and answer the questions at the end.
You can write your answers down on a piece of paper.
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
This week you will practice using contracted forms, for example “I am” becomes shortened to “I’m” with an apostrophe taking the place of the missing letter. Sometimes there is more than one letter missing.
Watch this clip and try the quiz at the end.