The Teaching of English at Lionwood Junior School
English teaching is at the heart of the learning experience at Lionwood. We are keenly aware of the important of using language effectively, fluently, accurately and creatively in order to succeed.
The teaching of Reading and Writing is thoroughly and imaginatively planned so that children develop a love of the written word, apply the skills across the broad range of subjects taught at Lionwood, as well as preparing them for their next stage of education.
We offer opportunities for children to develop their speaking and listening skills through discussion, drama, presentations, and performance.
Our children who have English as an additional language are pre-taught vocabulary and content as well as being given intervention on spoken English in order to access the learning.
The Acquisition of English skills and knowledge (Speaking and Listening, Reading, Writing, Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar) is vital to the success of children across the whole curriculum now, and in their future. Our teaching ensures that children:
- Learn to read, write and speak with enthusiasm, confidence and expression.
- Develop a love of language through the creation of a rich, creative and stimulating literary environment in which skills, knowledge and understanding can be developed
- Are exposed to a wide variety of high quality texts.
- Develop Phonic and Comprehension skills to be able to read fluently and for pleasure.
- Have opportunities to discuss, plan, draft, revise, rethink and finalise work.
- Have opportunities to explore own ideas and writing style through personal choices of reading and writing.
- Are encouraged to listen with attention, respecting the views and opinions of others.
- Develop the skills to present ideas to a range of audiences verbally and through drama.
- Develop a rich vocabulary and knowledge of a range of writers’ work.
- Develop understanding of preferences, while being exposed to texts that would otherwise not be chosen.
Here is the English Policy which sets out how English is taught in the school:
English Policy Sept 2022 update
Here is a useful website that has free parents’ resources for Read, Write Inc – the Phonics Scheme we use: